Monday 28 June 2010

Slippers!

Before Caroline came to visit, I wanted to make her something cute--a little welcome gift. I had this pattern for slippers in my craft idea folder and decided to give them a whirl. One pair for her; one pair for me. Mine first, for practice. These were not easy or quick! Sometimes when I sew I feel like my brain's going to turn inside out. I made soooo many mistakes, but I ended up finishing hers (finished mine too, but had to re-do one, and I still have to finish that one). Unfortunately both pairs are a tad too small. Poop. When it comes to something like pillows, if you're a wee bit off, it's no biggie, but with slippers, a wee bit makes a big difference. Still they're really cute. The pattern is from a 2007 issue of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion. I don't know the exact issue though because I ripped out the pages a while back and the month is not marked on them! If anyone has their heart set on getting the pattern let me know, and I'll see if I can email it to you. Here are the slippers in the making. They are lined with a felted wool bottom, sewn on with a blanket stitch. Mine are the red dotted ones. I meant to take a picture of Caroline's before she left, but you get the idea with my one slipper. If I make these again, I will definitely sew in some wadding because they are a bit flimsy with out it. And I might even see if I can get something like leather for the bottom so they are longer-lasting.
Tiny hands trying to take my slippers!

3 comments:

Carys said...

Those slippers are so adorable, what a lovely idea!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

theteapotexplodes said...

Gosh those slippers are lovely! Might try make some myself, although it's probably a tad hot for slippers at the moment... You have a really gorgeous blog :)

caroline said...

emailing you a photo. xoxo