Thursday 7 February 2013

Brixton Outing

Earlier this week I went to one of my favorite places near our neighborhood, Brixton Village Market. I've been fighting a cold (actually, I think I've had a series of colds and I'm so tired of them!), but I decided to go anyway because I needed to get out of the house. I've also been wanting to test out our new little camera, a Sony DSC-RX100. We have a nice SLR but it's massive and now with 2 kids, it's just one more big, heavy thing to carry, which is why I've become so accustomed to using my iPhone (that and filters are fun!).
The Sony is amazing for its size and price. I love that it's small because I don't feel too conspicuous holding it up to take a picture. I'm just now learning how to use it. I need to read the manual because it has so many settings and fun features. But I played around with it briefly at the Brixton market and took a few photos. I didn't change the aperture much because I couldn't figure out how to get back to it, so these really aren't the best example of its quality, but still you can get the idea.
The market is an eclectic mix of local meat, fish, and produce vendors alongside hip-n-trendy sorts of tiny shops and restaurants. I love small things, and I love cute shops and food, so naturally I feel right at home there! The market spans two neighboring buildings, but the bigger building is my favorite because it has more places that I particularly like. Here you'll find vintage shops, that usually also sell handmade items, as well and a few of my favorite restaurants. Hands down my favorite burger in London is at Honest Burgers, and wonderful coffee at Federation Coffee. Brixton Cornercopia is great too. They have a menu that changes daily, so it's always a treat to see what's new each time I go. The smaller building has my favorite pizza, Franco Manca. Obviously, I've paid more attention to the food than the shops, but many of the shops are great too (I'm just not sure of many of their names).







If you have small kids (toddler to pre-school age), the Brixton Recreational Center is around the corner. I sometimes take Lois there to their soft play room and then go to the market and make a day of it. It's a perfect way to spend a rainy day with her. If you live in London, I recommend the market if you've never been (though don't go on a very cold day because it's not completely enclosed and can be very chilly inside!). And if you plan to visit London and have time, put it on your list! You can read more information on the Brixton Village web site. 

No comments: