Saturday 14 February 2015

A Hint of Spring

Spring is in the air! At least it's visible here and there in little blossoms peeking out of the grey days, which are often the backdrop of winter here. And green! I'm noticing much more vibrant green lately. The promise of spring has me feeling buzzy and energetic so I'm getting a lot done. Well, I'm getting more of some things done than I planned, like sewing, and almost nothing done of other things I need to do (sorting and filing paperwork, blah). But I wouldn't want to miss all this spring action sitting beside the filing cabinet. This week included a really nice walk in the park with Ellie, making some valentine's heart garland, sewing a few Oliver + S ice cream tops for Lois and making a tooth fairy pillow for Lois.

It had been weeks since I took Ellie to Peckham Rye park. It's a really beautiful park near our house with lovely flower gardens, a playground, and duck pond. We mainly just wandered the paths and admired all the little blossoms. Little sweetie wanted to touch, smell and chase everything (squirrels and birds) in sight. 
I love Valentine's for the crafting and made a simple garland out of some scrap hearts. My garland started with hearts dangling in a row of 3, 4, or 5 from one thread but it hung too low because we figured we'd have a fire over the past few days, so I cut them shorter and made a garland of one row of hearts. Really simple but pretty cute. 

I made Lois two Oliver + S ice cream dress tops. They are so cute and were really easy to make. I should have made her one size up as these will be snug in just a few months, but I'm still happy with how they turned out. Such a simple shape. I'd like one for myself! 
I probably should have cut the top fabric in the back so that it wouldn't be upside down when it was complete, but I didn't have much of this handwriting fabric so I decided not to worry about it.
Lois looks adorable in them! Just a quick model shoot with my phone here because it's not easy to get her to stay still for long!
And here's her little tooth fairy pillow I made just in time to pick her up from school on Friday. Another quick photo with my phone. I used a felted sweater and made up the shape and design after seeing something similar in a shop. It has a tiny pocket on the back. It's so cute. I can't wait till she looses her next tooth! 
We intended to make these ice cream sandwiches again today, but that will have to wait till tomorrow. Today I took Lois out on a Valentine's date to Islington to the Little Angle Theater and to Ottolenghi for lunch. We were a little worn out once we got home so we'll look forward to doing that tomorrow!

2 comments:

marilu said...

Just gorgeous Leigh! You made me want to take the sewing machine out! What camera did you use in the park? I need to replace mine so looking at different options x

Leigh said...

Hi Marilu! Those photos are with our Canon 7D using either a Canon 50mm 1.2 lens or a Sigma 105mm macro lens. But we also have a great compact camera if you want something smaller, it's a Sony RX100. XO